The Toshiba NB505 is a great netbook for those on a tight budget. For a netbook under $300 it’s great deal. It’s overall features on this netbook are great.
From it’s battery life to it’s full keyboard (which is rare on a netbook) is great. But does it live up to what people say about it? Let me help you decide on if this netbook model is for you by going over it’s features below.
Great Full Keyboard
8 Hour Battery Life
Slim Body Design
Build Solid and Strong
Toshiba Mini NB505 Netbook
The netbook is perfect for those who wish to run basic application for school or work such as Microsoft Excel, word , skype, browsing the internet and checking email. Of course using it for intense power-needing programs like graphics or video editing won’t due. Remember netbooks are for those needing to get simple tasks done as I’ve mentioned above.
Toshiba NB505 Specs
- Intel Atom Processor N455 1.66 GHz with 512KB L2 Cache
- 1GB of DDR2 RAM Installed (2GB max) – However it’s worth upgrading to a 2GB because it’ll run faster and smoother.
- 250Gigabit Hard Drive – A huge drive for tons of storage ( music, movies, files for work or school)
- 10.1 Diagonal Widescreen Display at 1024 x 600 Screen resolution
- Windows 7 Starter Installed
- 8 Hour Battery Life – Perfect for someone using it for school, work or travel that is away from power. The company also fully charges the battery at 100% when shipped out which is cool. Normally companies half charge or even less the battery telling you to fully charge it before running. How hard is that to do when you get a new toy and they tell you charge it up before you start to play with it?
- Weights about 2.9 pounds – It’s great for school because students can easily carry it around in their backpack or purse. It’s as light as a standard book and compared to a normal laptop weight, it feels extremely light.
- Wireless Capable – Connect to the internet fast when around a wi-fi or hotspot signal such as at school or starbucks! Just on the internet fast if you need to check something such as your email. This includes wireless printing as those are becoming popular.
-3 USB Ports – 3 USB ports are good . I something have to use 1 for a mouse, another for a USB flash drive and the 3rd for an external drive so having less than 3 ports would mean I’d have to remove one of my apparatus.
-VGA Video Output – This allows your to connect your netbook to another monitor or your own TV. Why would you want to? For larger viewing screen size.
-SD Memory Card Reader – Capable of reading any small SD card such as an SDHC, SDXC or any other multimedia card. These are the types of cards that are normally found in digital cameras. Take them out of your camera and connect them from a slot on the netbook allowing you to download them on your netbook.
I found the SD slot is placed right under the mousepad to be a great place for it. Also the mousepad features a 1-finger up and down scrolling features.
- Webcam – Great for using Skype (software that allows your to webcam and call people around the world free) or webcaming with friends or family. Even capable of taking photos and video.
The features mentioned above are all standard in today’s netbook computers. Not all but some. So will you notice some of these features when comparing it to another system. Check out Amazon
What’s Also Included?
Also included with your nb505 Toshiba netbook is an AC charger, lithium-ion battery, instruction manual. Installed as a trial 30 day version is Nortons Internet Security 2011 which I fully recommend you purchase after the trial. I just recently purchased it after my computer got infested with spyware and malware viruses. Since installing Norton’s, never had an issue.
Also the laptop is backed up by a 1 year hardware warranty. What this means is that if there is any issue with the hardware they’ll replace your system free.
Full Size Keyboard
What makes this netbook so great is it’s full sized keyboard! Not something you see on netbooks because of their size (being smaller). A full size keyboard is great as the keys aren’t so small and you don’t feel so squished with your hands and fingers when typing especially those with big hands.
Also the up, down, right/left, PGUP, PGDN, HOME and END are included which make it even better for those using programs such as Excel which makes it really comfortable. In many netbook keyboards because of their small size you would have to press an additional FN key to be able to scroll up or down, left or right. With this netbook, your free of having to use that.
You’ll Feel Safe Holding – Non Slippery Case
It’s got a great rubbery casing which make it easy to grip. Doesn’t feel slippery to the touch. It’s outside is a great rubberized texture which is great for gripping and because of that it doesn’t show fingerprints as with glossy casings do.
Mono Speaker Not Stereo
The Toshiba NB505 only contains a mono speaker and not stereo speakers which I wish it had.
If your looking for a netbook to handle basic task such as:
- Checking email
- Going on the internet
- Typing reports for school
- Traveling for work or always on the road
- Using basic word-processing application such as Word and Excel
- Just need an extra small netbook to carry around for taking notes/work or school
Then you won’t go wrong selecting this netbook.
This netbook everyone seems to love and have great experience with. It’s rated extremely high (4.5 out of 5 stars) in Amazon with over 300 reviews on Amazon. Check out what others are saying about this product here.
The Toshiba NB505 netbook is a perfect lightweight, easy to carry netbook. Great screen resolution and overall strong durability. Small enough for women to place it inside their purse (as my girlfriend does with hers)
Ann Carey, a Journalist from Indiana said:
It is a perfect size to take along in my purse and is unobstrusive for me to use. I only do simple word processing on it and check e-mail or do simple Internet work. It also will be idea for personal travel.
Chris Howard from Ohio said:
…a nice computer for on the go like work, school or just out and about or even convenience at home this is an ideal choice at a good price.
5 Different colors available
The Toshiba NB505 is available in 5 different colors — blue, brown, green, orange and turquoise. Below are the different model numbers to the exact colors:
NB505-N508BL (Blue Version)
NB505-N508BN (Brown Version)
NB505-N508GN (Green Version)
NB505-N508OR (Orange Version)
NB505-N508TQ (Turquoise Version)
What it Cost and Where to Buy?
The NB505 runs under $300 which is a great price for a netbook. Check out Amazon here to view it’s pricing. Currently Amazon is listing it for 7% cheaper than it’s base price. This item is tasted 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon with over 300+ reviews which shows how great this netbook is.
Click here to get this netbook now. I hope you enjoyed my Toshiba mini nb505 review. If you have any questions, please comment below.